fbpx

PANGONG LAKE

PANGONG LAKE INFORMATION & HISTORY

The Pangong lake also called as Pangong TSo is a beautiful lake situated in Himalayas in the town of Leh the capital of Leh. Lake is situated at the height of 4350 meters and it is 12 kms long extended from India to Tibet. The 40 % part of the lake comes in India while the rest 60 % belongs to China. This lake is surround by mountains and has a breathtaking view and one of the dream visited destinations for every tourist or a Traveller. 

 Water inside the lake is crystal blue to green in colour. You cannot see the same colour of the water throughout the year or may throughout the day it changes from dark blue to light blue and greenish in colour. The Lake is Freeze during the winters as the temperature here in winters ranges from -2   degree to -14   degrees and below. Pangong lake Ladakh is also a famous destination for camping as people from all over the world visit the lake to camp here. There is no natural vegetation around the lake but many migratory birds visit the lake in summer. 

 Leh-Ladakh being one of the famous destinations in India to the bike riders many bikers from all over Indian visit the union territory and this lake. The permit for visiting the lake can be obtain from the Leh tourist office at a small fee. Indian citizens can easily obtain the permit on an individual basis whereas a foreign citizen needs to visit in a group of 3 people with a compulsory guide. This lake has also been featured in one of the hit Bollywood movies “3 Idiots”.

MAJOR ATTRACTIONS

Best time to visit

best time to visit the Lake is in summers  from June to September as during winter the lake is totally freezed.

The Route to Leh-Ladakh is also closed during winter due to snow covered on the Road. Inner line permit is required to visit the Pangong lake as it lies in the Line of Actual control (LAC).

HOW TO REACH PANGONG LAKE

BY AIR

Leh Airport is the nearest airport is approx 208 kms.

BY RAIL

Chandigarh railway station is the nearest railway station is approx 139 kms.

BY ROAD

Mumbai is approx 2511 kms.Via New Delhi From Leh-Manali Highway